Friday, February 23, 2007

Corner

When I find myself hidden
In a corner of your mind
I wonder what I am
Doing there.

Please do not misunderstand.
I like that little corner.
It’s a nice and comfortable place
To live in, almost
Like being home

I do not resent it
When it’s cleaning up time
And you sweep me out
With other things.
It just makes me feel
A little insecure
As if I’ve been locked
Out of my room
For the night
And there isn’t any other place
I can go to

It’s alright
When you take me out
And stare at me thoughtfully.
Debating whether I need to be
Oiled, tidied, cleaned, repaired,
Replaced, substituted or
Thrown out.

I understand all this.
These are a part of
a married woman’s household chores
Tasks to be finished
before the husband arrives home
with his demands.

but still,
when I find myself hidden
in a corner of your mind
I wonder what I am
Doing there.

New Delhi.

1 Comments:

Blogger Abha Iyengar said...

Ashwini, this is so good.

1:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home